Admin

History

In 2015, Carmody celebrated 50 years of pride!

Carmody Junior High School opened in 1965 and was named for the Carmody family living nearby. Lawrence Carmody came to America from Ireland in 1906, and his wife Mary emigrated from Ireland in 1916. In 1913, Lawrence Carmody purchased 324 acres of the Kendrick Ranch, including the “Halfway House” stop on an old stage line from Morrison to Denver. The original stage stop is a white rectangular building at the crest of old South Kipling Street. For over 55 years it was the home of the Carmody family.


Carmody Junior High began with 767 students in grades 7-9. The original mascot was the Carmody Cobras, and school colors were orange and blue. The 1965-66 yearbook indicates that popular clubs included: English Club, Foreign Language Club, Trampoline Club, Pep Club, Red Cross Club, Coin Collecting Club. Sports teams included Basketball, Wrestling and Football.


For the 1991-92 school year, Carmody changed its name and became Carmody Middle School. We now serve only 7th and 8th grades. The mascot became the Carmody Cougars in 1998 and school colors became green and black.

In 1999, a new wing was added to the building. The administration offices and library were moved to the new front of the school. The old library had been over the courtyard - this space is now the science storage room. The computer labs were built in the old entry courtyard.

Carmody House


Junior

Sources:

Lakewood Colorado: An Illustrated Biography, edited by Patricia Wilcox

Carmody Junior High School annuals: 1966, 1968

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.